Do you know that YouTube has parental controls to let you control what your kids can access or watch while using YouTube? The parental controls on YouTube is a perfect solution to keep your kids safe from unsuitable content. You will be able to keep track of your kids YouTube usage and keep an eye on what they are watching even when you are not with them.
YouTube is one of the best video streaming platforms up to now. It has both free and paid streaming content. Both users and content creators can share engaging videos on the site. Despite the fact that it is one of the best video streaming services, it can be full of danger for your kids when you are not with them.
In this article, we are going to show you how you can set up and use YouTube Parental Controls effectively.
Turn on YouTube Restricted Mode
The restricted mode in YouTube is a part of its parental control features. If you want to block sensitive, violent, and other adult or harmful content, you should enable it. When the restricted mode is enabled, your kids would not be able to watch any adult videos. Even YouTube itself will not recommend any adult videos.
The restricted mode will filter out all adult and harmful content from YouTube search results as well as from its recommendations. All videos that YouTube community flags as inappropriate will be blocked entirely.
Here’s how you can enable this mode:
- First and foremost, navigate to the YouTube website on your web browser.
- Then sign in to your YouTube account and make sure you are on the home screen.
- Now click on your user profile icon from the top right corner, next to the bell icon.
- Then head to the restricted mode from the lower of the menu.
- Enable the restricted mode by turning on the switch located next to the Activate Restricted Mode.
- Now select “lock restricted mode on this browser”. This will completely block users from turning off the restricted mode. It will add an extra security layer to the restricted mode, and your kids will not be able to disable it. As a result, they will not be able to access any adult content on YouTube.
After that, YouTube will reload, and you will notice that all adult or violent content is now blocked from YouTube. Now you can relax and leave your home without worrying about your kids.
Enable the Safety Mode for Smartphone Users
Keep in mind that restricted mode has a different version for mobile devices. On mobile devices, it is named as safety mode instead of restricted mode. Let’s learn how to enable safe mode in YouTube mobile app to keep your kids out of adult content:
- First of all, browse the YouTube app on your iPhone or Android phone.
- Then make sure you have logged in to your Google account.
- Now click on your user profile picture from the top-right corner.
- Next, head to settings.
- Click on restricted mode filtering.
- Strike the slider button located in the front of the restricted mode.
- Now press the X button on the top of your screen to close the settings.
Next, YouTube restricted mode will remove all the inappropriate content from the app. From now on, your kids will not be able to access unsafe videos.
That’s all you need to do to enable restricted mode on YouTube to keep your kids safe. However, it is not completely accurate, and sometimes YouTube might recommend inappropriate videos to your kids even when this mode is enabled.
Ava Williams is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Mcafee products at mcafee.com/activate.Source : How to Set Up and Use YouTube’s Parental Control